Les Vignes Lab' are participatory innovation initiatives (their name is a play on the “Living Lab” networks). These groups set out to address technical and environmental issues in viticulture. The Comité Champagne and its partners provide technical support until the project is completed. Once developed, the tool or method is shared with the partners, to be distributed as widely as possible.
There are now 5 Vignes Lab' groups in the Champagne region. Each explores a theme such as:
- Management of Safety Distances from Residents (RSD) with resistant varieties;
- Pooling of hedge planting;
- Development of the pooled audit method to reduce certification costs;
- Collective management of biodiversity;
- Implementation of tools and methods to achieve the "100% certified" target.
This number is likely to change as new groups can be opened, particularly to explore new themes such as carbon neutrality for example.